Tuesday 5 February 2013

Another great book

It's been a good start to the year reading-wise. I finished Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes over the weekend.


I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10 - the characters were so well drawn, from Cathy in the throes of her OCD, to the lovely Stuart and creepy and controlling Lee. I had a pretty good idea what was to come but the tension built up slowly but surely; it was very hard to turn off the light at night, not because I was scared but because I wanted to carry on reading!

It's so easy to forget about stories in the papers which briefly mention a woman being beaten or stalked but this book goes "behind the scenes", showing how fear can affect people's lives for ever.

The book skips from one timeline to another but after the first few chapters it isn't at all confusing and in fact made me want to read more, to see how the 2003 Cathy was compared to the 2007 version. It was a clever way of telling the story, keeping both timelines fresh and very real.

This was a debut novel and I've already got her second book, Revenge of the Tide on my TBR pile. As I said, a really great start to 2013, with many thanks to Deborah Harkness and Elizabeth Haynes :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment